IsoBoard thermal insulation is a high density, extruded polystyrene rigid insulation board, having a 100% closed cell structure. IsoBoard has been tried and tested internationally since 1970, and manufactured in South Africa since 1995, using a fully automated extrusion process, in accordance with international specifications and standards.
Why Use IsoBoard
IsoBoard is a rigid board bulk thermal insulator, available in various thicknesses and lengths to meet most requirements. IsoBoard believes in being conservative when making claims as to the performance of our products, and testing these claims regularly through reputable agencies, such as the Board of Agre’ment.
- Standard board lengths: 4800mm increasing in 600mm increments to 7200mm, then 8000mm, the longest board we can manufacture. Length tolerance is ± 5mm.
- Board width: Standard effective width 600mm. Width tolerance is ± 2 mm.
- Thickness: Popular thicknesses usually available ex-stock are 25, 30, 40 and 50mm. Thickness tolerance is ± 2mm Thicker boards of 60, 70 and 80mm are manufactured to order. Thickness tolerance is ± 3mm
- Determination of physical properties of IsoBoard rigid foam insulation, dated July 1996, by the Division of Building Technology of the CSIR.
- Copies of test reports are available from Isofoam (South Africa) (Pty) Limited upon request, or on our website.
- Thermal conductivity reports by the general physical laboratory of the South African Bureau by Standards numbered 722/82397 /NK9, 10, confirmed by Guarded HB tests February 2010.
- IsoBoard is combustible, with no flame spread characteristics. IsoBoard is suitable for all occupancy types in horizontal and vertical applications, except for buildings where non-combustible materials are prescribed by SANS 10400. (Reports on the fire propagation properties of IsoBoard dated July 1996, by the Division of Building Technology of the CSIR, and further assessments by Firelab to SANS 428 dated July 2007.)
- The compressive strength and density of IsoBoard increase with thickness of boards. Thermal conductivity is constant across the density range.
- Sample board immersed in water to 50 mm depth for 24 hours. Water absorption is expressed as an average percentage increase over the original volume.
The Thermal Conductivity (k value) of new IsoBoard is 0.024W/m°C, and that of 5-year aged IsoBoard at 90% relative humidity is 0.03W/m°C, which is referred to as the “long-term design” value. The Thermal Resistance (r value) of IsoBoard is calculated by dividing the thickness of the IsoBoard by the Thermal Conductivity (k-value), to achieve the table below.
For SANS10400XA r-value calculations the k-value of new IsoBoard of 0.024W/m°C can be used, but IsoBoard recommend that the “long term design” value be used when doing a Rational Design. Because IsoBoard is expected to last for the life of the building, using an aged value allows a confident prediction that required thermal performance standards will continue to be met.
|THICKNESS ISOBOARD||THICKNESS M||THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY DRY 90 DAY AGED||THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY DRY 5 YEAR AGED||THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY 90% RH||R – VALUE DRY 90 DAY AGED||R – VALUE 5 YEAR AGED||R – VALUE 90% RH|